22 Apr 2019
Safe trips for happy holidays!
To best assist the drivers in view of the increased traffic expected on the motorway because of the Christmas Holidays, Olympia Odos reminds you of a few important rules for your trips:
Check your vehicle before starting your trip:
- Fuels: Do you have enough fuel? Do you know where to refuel, if necessary?
- Oil: Have you checked the oil level?
- Engine coolant / antifreeze: Are the radiator and the windscreen washer reservoir full?
- Electric circuits: Are your main beam and turn signals working?
- Tires: Have you checked the condition and the air pressure in your tires?
- Consult the home page of www.olympiaodos.gr for information about the weather in six destinations along the motorway as well as the traffic prediction for the next three days.
- Check the Variable Message Signs of the motorway. The staff of the Traffic Management Center communicate with you and give you valuable information about the route ahead of you.
- If you have a trailer or a caravan, before starting your trip, check their condition, especially if they were immobilized for a long time.
- If you are carrying bicycles or other loads on the car roof, be sure that they are well secured.
- Do not drive when you are tired, especially early in the morning or late in the night.
- When traveling long routes, you shall stop for 15 minutes every 2 hours.
- Do not drive and do not stop on the Emergency Lane!
Well organizing your trip will help you avoid most of the distractions. Eat, smoke or make phone calls before starting your trip. If it is strictly necessary to answer a call, stop at a parking area along the motorway. You will find such areas every 10-12 km.
Adapt your driving technique to the prevailing conditions.
Most of the issues that may arise when driving on a motorway or the other road network may be dealt with by adopting a simple rule: By adapting your driving technique to the each time prevailing conditions. You need to adopt a different driving technique in case of snow, frost, rainfall or increased traffic conditions.
Traffic Prediction Service
To help you better plan your trips, we created the Traffic Prediction Service for locations of the Motorway where traditionally large traffic volumes are recorded in holiday exodus periods (Elefsina and Isthmos).
Avoid peak hours to the extent possible when planning your trip to gain time. You can advise the Traffic Prediction Service (for the next 3 days) and the Actual Traffic at the Toll Stations of Elefsina and Isthmos 24h/day through www.olympiaodos.gr.
In general, the greatest traffic peaks occur:
During the exit
- - on Holy Thursday, from about 11:00 until 21:00 and
- - on Holy Friday, from 07:00 until about 17:00 in the afternoon
During the return,
- - On Easter Monday and Tuesday, from 11:00 until about 21:00.
Traffic is expected to be particularly increased also on Easter Wednesday, since many trips will be made on the same day because of the holiday of 1st May and the return of the Easter holiday travelers. For more details, please advise the Traffic Prediction Service through:
Traffic is expected to be particularly increased
Truck traffic prohibition
We also note that truck traffic prohibition on Athens-Korinthos-Patra NNR all along from Elefsina Toll Station to Rio Toll Station for the outbound peak days, Holy Thursday from 15:00 to 22:00 and Holy Friday from 06:00 to 16:00, and for the inbound peak days, on Easter Monday from 12:00 to 22:00, Easter Tuesday from 11:00 to 23:00 and Easter Wednesday from 15:00 to 21:00 is applicable according to GG 401/13-02-2019.
The employees of Olympia Odos confirm our commitment to provide quality services with an overall view to ensure safe, quick and comfortable trips to the drivers.
We wish you Happy Easter and safe trips!